Sunday, April 1, 2018

Expectation vs. Reality: A New Skater's Perspective

Two years ago, if you would have asked me if I would ever play roller derby, I would have laughed the question off.

Before my first practice, I didn’t know the rules, I had only ever watched one game in Nelson, BC, and I didn’t know anyone on the team. Coach Hacksaw and a few other teammates invited me down to their practice on a Sunday night and even though I had to drive to Clairmont, I was eager to see what it was all about! Naturally, I brought a friend from work because I was still nervous about walking through the doors for the first time.

They had the gear for me to try and patience to teach (I had only ever tried on skates once in my lifetime...eep!!). One sweaty practice with these incredible ladies and I haven’t looked back since.

I have to say there were A LOT of things that I expected roller derby to be and it turned I was SO wrong. I am here to crush a few of your preconceived notions! (Some of these came from lack of knowledge and some of these views came from the little tidbits I had picked up along the way.)


The First Practice

Expectation:

I expected these girls to be wearing just skates and a helmet. I expected there to be a lot of elbows flying and tripping each other. I expected there to be no drills or hard sweaty skating (you could tell I thought this from what I wore...a sweatshirt.)


Reality:

The team was welcoming and patience. Everyone was geared down from skates, elbow pads, knee pads, wrist guards, mouth guard, AND a helmet. Right away, we learned to fall the correct way, so we didn’t hurt ourselves…and I immediately learned that it wasn’t a game of throwing elbows and hurting each other AT ALL. There are rules and each game gets 3 to 7 referees… woah, right?
Also, roller derby will get your butt in shape. I left as a sweaty mess in my sweatshirt and vowed to myself that I would never do that again. If you are looking for a fun way to get in shape, this is it, my friend.

The Team

Expectation:
I pictured a bunch of girls that wore a lot of face paint and tutus. I wasn’t sure if they would like me or if I would fit in and I was nervous about not being strong enough…

Reality:

Right away, I realized these girls were just like me. They were just a bunch of normal women. Hacksaw (despite her terrifying name) is so nice and patient. Iron Eden (again, despite a pretty scary name) is hilarious and welcoming to any newbies. The whole team has a quirk or something about them that makes them unique, but that is what it is all about!

CatASStrophy stood out to me right away. In the short time I have known her, we have already become gym buddies off the track destined to train to be better derby players! Although she has been at it longer than I, she is still new to the game and super encouraging.

All in all, it is a great group of ladies playing a really fun sport and I was wrong to judge it before trying!! ;)

The Derby Community

Expectation:

I expected derby to be a sport that is only played in North America. I expected it to be a sport that was popular back in the day and had sizzled out with a few people hanging onto it.

Reality:

The derby community is pretty amazing. Not only is there a league in GP, there are leagues all over Alberta, Canada, North America, South America, across seas...literally around the world.

It is HUGE. There are men’s teams! There are mixed gender teams! (THERE IS EVEN A TEAM CANADA MEN’S TEAM!! They are heading to Barcelona this week to compete in the World Cup! Ummm, how cool is that?)

Teams borrow players from other teams. Refs from one team will help out another team if they are short. It is this sprawling community of awesomness that gets underestimated by the public!!


I am so happy I walked through the doors and got involved in roller derby. Best decision I have made in 2018 by far! I challenge you to come learn more about this sport.

1 comment: