Friday, April 20, 2018

Derby saved my soul: spotlight on Iron Eden


For Iron Eden, the two practices a week with the RadLeak Rollers is a break from life as a mom.

The hard hitter comes from an honest background of hockey as she played eight years competitively in Ontario. Although she is a rookie (under 10 games played), you would never know that about her by the amount of skill she possesses. 

In 2012, she was recruited in her garage by the coach of the Westaskiwin Rez City Rollers. She had noticed Iron's roller blades in the corner of the room during a Kijiji deal in her garage and invited her out to show what she could do. After two practices, she ended up getting pregnant back-to-back (you should see the two cuties) and didn't get back on skates until 2016.

She eventually continued with her love for derby when she moved to Grande Prairie with her family and joined the Grande Prairie Roller Derby Association. 

"Derby for me is getting out and getting away from my day-to-day child caring, wife duties. Getting away from the laundry and the dishes. It is an opportunity to walk through the door and take that personal time. It is really important. A lot of people say 'derby saved my soul' and I think that exactly. It saved me too," said Iron.

"It's nice to have a sport that is specifically for me and not something I bring my kids to do."

On top of giving her an opportunity to reach goals and socialize, it is a way for her to deal with anxiety issues.

"Sometimes my heart races when I am on my way to practice. I had bad experiences as an adolescent and it reverberates into the rest of my life." 

Skating for derby is also a way to stay in shape as well. Iron says she was around 215 lbs when she started and after some dedication to the sport, she has lost over 50 lbs.

Her biggest recommendation for new skaters or people that are looking to get into derby is to "say yes".

"Go to events, go to boot camps, network, get to know people. Derby is a community and it can be like a family. It is so huge and it is all over the world. Once you are in, people will start friending you on Facebook. If it is derby related just say yes. Bring as much derby into your life as you can. Derby is really the most positive thing I have done in my adult life. It is the best thing I have done for myself."

She also wants to tell new skaters to "get on their big girl panties and come out and skate"!!

Iron Eden has the skills and is the perfect example of how a former hockey player can make a transition into roller derby. She's sassy, caring, and helpful to all new recruits!

The team wouldn't be the same without you! Thank you for being your unique self, leading by example, and always bringing your best to the track. 

No comments:

Post a Comment